Thursday, May 19, 2005

News: DWR to discontinue knock-off Barcelona chair

Earlier I mentioned Design Within Reach offering their Barcelona chair knock-off at a discounted price. After making some inquiries at their D.C. studio, it turns out DWR is going to discontinue their knock-off altogether.

The reason for that is here: beginning June 17, 2005, DWR will sell Knoll products designed by Eero Saarinen, Marcel Breuer, Harry Bertoia, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, and Jens Risom, including Knoll's Barcelona® chair.

So DWR's classic sale is final and they're running low on stock too. Since their leather quality stuck out significantly in my leather samples review, I went ahead and ordered a Barcelona chair and ottoman. Expect a full review in about a month.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just got two chairs from DWR and I'm very happy- you will be too. More comfortable than the Knoll as well.

Mosez said...

The chair and ottoman came in yesterday at my US address. Since I'm still in Amsterdam, I haven't seen it yet but my wife thinks they're very nice.

Anonymous said...

Where can I find used Barcelona chairs and other modern pieces. Need help!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me why Knoll has a list price of $5400 for the Barcelona chair and DWR has what is apparently the same chair for $3348. I know DWR now carries Knoll products and I just don't get why this could happen unless DWR is selling a knoll product that is made with cheaper parts or labor. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mosez, I found your blog well written and it works as an excellent point of reference for people wanting to look at Barlceona Chairs. What I was wondering was if you had an opprotunity to see Alphaville Designs version of it? Have you taken a look at their leather swatches?

Anonymous said...

Sorry I meant Barcelona Chairs. Thick fingers.

Anonymous said...

Can any one tell me how to identify an original Barcelona Chair. I have seen a fairly old example in Australia which has two allen key bolts threaded into the top cross bar of the chair. Is this the real McCoy, or just another copy.

Regards,

Desperatly seeking Susan.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.